FOOD, Living in... Singapore, Uncategorized HOLLAND VILLAGE, SINGAPORE 10 August 2006

Holland Village Hawker Centre
Singapore

Holland village has the tagline “Shopping paradise and food haven for expatriates and tourists”. I don’t know about you, but I love it too and I’m a Singaporean – so there! Not too sure about the “shopping paradise” part, but I certainly agree with “food haven” – the place is packed with food stalls and restaurants from every cuisine you can imagine.. and also pubs and such for the late night crowd.

Went there with my cousins and a bunch of people for dinner, then dessert, then drinks. I was keen to check out the “Western” food at the hawker centre there (which is newly opened, apparently) since my cousin claimed the chicken chop was fantastic. She was not wrong 🙂 But before I start, I gotta say that Western food in hawker centres here are… erm… not what you’d get in Western countries. Kind of like how “sweet & sour fish” and “fried rice”, etc, is not really indicative of Chinese cuisine. But I STILL LOVE IT!! It’s so yummy and the portions are large, so you’ll always leave satisfied. Plus, the dishes below were $5 each – considered expensive for hawker food, but dirt cheap compared to Australia’s food courts (you’d easily pay double or triple for the set meals below).

I just loved the food. The chicken was all meaty and juicy with no weird fatty bits. And ALL the side dishes were scrumptious :)~ Such a delightful dinner! But since my cousin’s boyf..err.. I mean.. finance.. and I decided it was not enough food (!), we also got a Katong Laksa to share. If you think you’ve had Laksa before, then you’re guaranteed you haven’t had the proper authentic stuff. Katong Laksa is thick, creamy and stuffed with prawns and cockles and short white round noodles. You don’t use chopsticks, you scoop everything up with a spoon instead. It is BEYOND good and BETTER than any so-called “laksa” that you’ll find in non-Asian countries. Plus it was only $3 – hee hee!

Western food stall @ Holland Village

My cousin’s fish & chips – the fish was so fresh and crumbly, yum!

My chicken chop set – every single piece of food on it was so good :)~

The famous, delicious, incomparable Katong Laksa!!

Coffee with condensed milk, made in a ‘sock’ (aka “kopi ping”)

Dessert was Muddy Mud Pie.. followed my German beers @ Badan

• j0s1e267 posted on August 9, 2006 at 5:36 pm

the fish & chips and chicken chop looks SO GOOD! I LOVE Katong Laksa!! I can never figure out which one along Joo Chiat is the real deal but I think they all taste good!

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:59 am

their food is yum… and yeah, Katong laksa is just AMAZING, i really wish we had it in AU, then I’d never leave.. hehe

• vanessafrida posted on August 9, 2006 at 5:47 pm

Just happened to stumble upon your blog. Real great stuff.

Hey we were real close by…we were at wala wala at abt the same time i think 🙂

Looks like you had a fantabulous evening too 🙂

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:00 am

hah it’s a small world! I’m just trying to cram in as much foodie goodness over the next week as possible..

• babyflite posted on August 9, 2006 at 11:52 pm

Ah…Holland V, I used to hang out there all the time. Unfortunately it’s just not the same ever since they started work on the MRT station there, the previous vibe that it used to have is gone. 🙁

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:03 am

I dunno what the previous vibe was.. so maybe that’s a good thing 😛 I love all the little stalls there! Sasa’s so cool too.. i want to get that Lash Wig mascara thingy, do you know if it’s good? My cousin loves it

• starbucksweetie posted on August 10, 2006 at 12:38 am

Mmmm…the muddy cake looks so sumptuous. I always love to look at the desserts that you pick.

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:03 am

It was mega, haha! And all ice cream so it was great for the hot weather 🙂

• j0s1e267 posted on August 9, 2006 at 5:36 pm

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:59 am

• vanessafrida posted on August 9, 2006 at 5:47 pm

Just happened to stumble upon your blog. Real great stuff.

Hey we were real close by…we were at wala wala at abt the same time i think 🙂

Looks like you had a fantabulous evening too 🙂

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:00 am

• medlabtech posted on August 10, 2006 at 3:53 am

I’m craving iced coffee now!

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:47 pm

I LOVE kopi ping and teh ping here.. if only I could get it in AU!

• babyflite posted on August 9, 2006 at 11:52 pm

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:03 am

• starbucksweetie posted on August 10, 2006 at 12:38 am

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:03 am

It was mega, haha! And all ice cream so it was great for the hot weather 🙂

• medlabtech posted on August 10, 2006 at 3:53 am

I’m craving iced coffee now!

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:47 pm

I LOVE kopi ping and teh ping here.. if only I could get it in AU!

• susyspeed posted on August 10, 2006 at 4:10 pm

I live 10 min walking distance from holland v! i make like two trips there in a week average. you beat me to posting up that muddy mud pie from tcc!

• beverly posted on August 11, 2006 at 12:39 am

I live close to Holland V too!! we’re living at Farrer Court atm 🙂

• susyspeed posted on August 11, 2006 at 3:01 am

Oh wow I know where that is. My friend who used to live at my condo (Holland Hill) lives there now.

• susyspeed posted on August 10, 2006 at 4:10 pm