FOOD, Living in... Singapore, Uncategorized AMANOGAWA & MOS BURGER, SINGAPORE 15 August 2006

Today was just rushing around heaps.. finalising the deal with our house tenancy. There’ve been a bunch of people coming to view the house and we’ve gotten 2 offers that we like, so just finalising and deciding between the two. Exciting times 🙂 Though it’s a bit sad that these people get such a nice house to stay in… and here I am in Australia staying in an apartment that’s about 1/6 of the cost. Really depressing 🙁 It’s the choice I made to be independant & self-sufficient instead in a foreign country, I guess. Anyway, my ‘job’ when prospective tenants came around was to be at the gazebo and just sit pretty there, looking very cool and relaxed 😛 I said that since the agents get paid for the transaction, shouldn’t I get a cut of it too? Hee!

Amanogawa
Raffles City Mall
Singapore

Lunch was a quick one.. we were at Raffles City and walked past Amanogawa which looked quite interesting, so we popped in for a bite. A ‘bite’ it really was.. the portions were teeny tiny! Admittedly, mum and I ordered the “small bowl” version.. but still. They were SG$7 each and the size of the bowl was basically those typical Chinese rice bowls. SO SMALL I kinda looked at it when they arrived and said “Huh? Is that it?” Even dad’s set menu left him hungry afterwards!

Anyway, I had the Miso Ramen which was delicious. However, it certainly wasn’t worth the 7 bucks.. as the pork it came with was ONE utterly tiny piece of pork. Compared to Australia’s ramen, where for approx SG$14 you get 3x the amount, a huuuuge scoop of corn, and 5+ mega slices of pork. For shame!! The noodles were lovely though, and the soup was just right and not too salty.. so at least that kinda made up for it. Mum’s Unagi (eel) on Rice was just as teeny tiny but the eel was fantastic, better texture and flavour than the eel in Australia. Sublime :)~ Dad’s set was expensive considering it was twice the price of ours. Wasn’t really that much more food though. All in all, I wouldn’t go back… I’d rather pay $3 for good ‘ol hawker fare, or $50 for a killer fine-dining restaurant meal. I don’t like “in-between food”, just makes me feel kinda ripped off.

Miso Ramen (SG$7)

Unagi (eel) on Rice (SG$7)

Fish set with tuna sushi (SG$13.90)

MOS Burger
B1-1 Plaza Singapura
Singapore

Dinner was a quick dash-and-run since we were still sorting out the house tenancy affair. We popped into Plaza Singapura since it’s really close by and I suddenly got the biggest craving for MOS Burger. MOS Burger is super duper awesome! It ranks right up there with In N Out Burger (USA) as my favourite burger joint. It’s Japanese-owned which means everything is cutesy, always being updated.. and.. well.. hard to describe, but if you’re familiar with Japanese stuff, you’ll understand! It’s just better than regular stuff IMHO 😛

I opted for my usual MOS Cheeseburger, fries & ice milk tea . The cheeseburger….. ooooooh la la!! The patty is soft and beefy and the cheese doesn’t have that nasty smell that many burgers have – it’s smooth and creamy, almost like cream cheese. And that tomato-onion salsa sauce that’s generously heaped on top? Completely mouth-watering.. it just makes the whole burger. My only complaint is that the burger’s waaaaay too small. It’s more like appetiser-sized, plus it’s so good that you’re left salivating for more. The fries are also nice, but to be honest, I prefer McDonalds shoestring fries.. fat fries don’t really do it for me. A winner for me is the ice milk tea, which you get as regular black tea and 2 little cups of milk to pour in to suit your taste. It’s light, tasty, and healthier than Coke.. love it.

MOS Burger

MOS Cheeseburger, fries & ice milk tea (SG$6+)

Mum and Dad ate at the foodcourt upstairs.
The pasta (SG$4) was fantastic!!! Was greedy and shared half-a-plate.

First time ever I’ve tried popiah (SG$1.80).
OMG….. I LOVE THE STUFF. It’s super healthy too!! (I think)

• luminously posted on August 14, 2006 at 3:53 pm

seriously, beverly. it’s NOT FAIR that you eat all these yummy different things everyday.

asdfghjkl!!!!!!!!!

LOL

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 1:22 am

Fortunately food in SG is fairly cheap and good, so it makes eating out a lot easier, hehe!

• starbucksweetie posted on August 14, 2006 at 3:57 pm

I love the pasta, usually food court pasta in Edmonton doesn’t look nearly as good.

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 1:22 am

I’ve had dodgy pasta as well.. sludgy or just not much ingredients :X It’s tough to get good pasta for just SG$4!

• plwh888 posted on August 14, 2006 at 4:01 pm

What??? First time u tried Poh piah ??? Its my all time fave !!!

i want Fish set with tuna sushi now 😛

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 1:23 am

I know! the first time I’ve tried most SG food was in Australia too… sad but true

• eviltofu posted on August 14, 2006 at 4:10 pm

Did you read the article in the Straits Times where they claim most of what passes as hawker centre food is crap?

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 1:24 am

YES!!!!! Was quite shocked. Do you agree? I can see their point.. but when I don’t live in SG, *everything*’s good to me 😉

• eviltofu posted on August 15, 2006 at 4:04 pm

I was quite shocked too until I looked at the food I was eating at the nearby Food Courts, etc. I have to go to Tampines or Bedok for good hawker food.

• madmoneymonkey posted on August 14, 2006 at 4:18 pm

I can’t believe you’ve never had poh piah before!!! Where have you beeeeeen??

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 1:51 am

I knooow.. been missing out on all this 🙁 well, y;know how i wouldn’t eat veggies for a good 20+ yrs of my life, so popiah was out of the question! Any other good food that I haven’t had, that I should?? (apart from intestines and other weird stuff)

• vixette7 posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:31 am

then you have to eat kueh pie tee if you haven’t already!

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:25 pm

ooo yes, I had it for the first time (and only once) in AU and loved it!!

• j0s1e267 posted on August 14, 2006 at 4:55 pm

Mos Burger rocks!! It’s my absolute fave burger joint, yes, even over In & Out! In Japan, they had this Chicken Curry Katsu rice burger and it was TDF!!!

• hyperion1 posted on August 14, 2006 at 9:14 pm

we loved the chicken curry katsu at Wagamama in London, UK.. so yummy! 🙂

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 1:53 am

Oooo I’m scared to try the rice burger cos my mum said it was weird! They currently have a Oyakodon (chicken and egg) rice burger, it looks SO GOOD

• j0s1e267 posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:21 am

the rice burger is not weird at all! extremely delish. try the beef or teriyaki chicken version first 🙂 whatever you do, DO NOT EVER try the McDonald’s FAN-tastic burger, yucks to the ultimate 😉

• beverly posted on August 18, 2006 at 2:34 am

Haha thanks for the tip.. I haven’t even heard of that burger!

• hyperion1 posted on August 14, 2006 at 9:13 pm

wow.. you always eat so much delicious food.. making me hungry.. hehe I love food 🙂

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 1:53 am

I like Wagamamas too btw, nice big portions!

• luminously posted on August 14, 2006 at 3:53 pm

asdfghjkl!!!!!!!!!

LOL

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 1:22 am

• starbucksweetie posted on August 14, 2006 at 3:57 pm

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 1:22 am

• plwh888 posted on August 14, 2006 at 4:01 pm

What??? First time u tried Poh piah ??? Its my all time fave !!!

i want Fish set with tuna sushi now 😛

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 1:23 am

• eviltofu posted on August 14, 2006 at 4:10 pm

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 1:24 am

• eviltofu posted on August 15, 2006 at 4:04 pm

• madmoneymonkey posted on August 14, 2006 at 4:18 pm

I can’t believe you’ve never had poh piah before!!! Where have you beeeeeen??

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 1:51 am

• vixette7 posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:31 am

then you have to eat kueh pie tee if you haven’t already!

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:25 pm

ooo yes, I had it for the first time (and only once) in AU and loved it!!

• babyflite posted on August 15, 2006 at 12:27 am

I love MOS cheeseburger, it’s pretty much the only fast food I’ll eat when I’m in Singapore. I go for the spicy version though and I actually prefer their fries to Maccas. And I can’t believe you’ve never tried popiah! My mum used to make it at home and we’ll have popiah parties where everyone wrap their own popiahs. And yes it’s super healthy!

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 1:56 am

I was eyeing the spicy one.. is it very spicy though? i was too chicken to get it 😉

Awwwwwwww your popiah parties sound fun, if you have one in Sydney.. erm.. *hint hint* I live there too. haha!! Where can I find good popiah in sydney?

• jarmz posted on August 15, 2006 at 12:36 am

i just went to the jap restaurant the other day! and i was shocked to see the small rice bowl portion! i was telling my colleague maybe its “part of a set meal” but i realised its not.. grrr. it didnt used to be like this though… cos i occasionally pack back to office to eat last time.

and oh! i love the iced milk tea at mos too! but i love the unagi rice burger which they are almost permanently “out of stock” pfft!

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 1:57 am

Hah yes!! It felt like a child’s meal or something.. I was hungry afterwards 🙁

• jarmz posted on August 15, 2006 at 2:01 am

my colleague packed back jap chicken curry back, and the portion was SO SMALL! i couldnt find any chicken at all, but the rice portion was big, it was 2 parts of the take away box….

• bikkle posted on August 15, 2006 at 12:55 am

LOL, I’ve got the same reaction as the rest. First time ever popiah~! It’s the best man, go try the one at Sim Lim Square basement food court, all healthy and crunchy without the sogginess..

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 1:58 am

*siiighhh* i know.. I never ate veggies ’till recently so tha’ts why popiah was always a no-go for me! Mum and Dad said the one I had above wasn’t THE BEST, where else are they good aprt from Sim Lim? Any in the city? I like ’em now 😀

• Anonymous posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:26 am

The one at newton hawker centre is pretty good

• bikkle posted on August 15, 2006 at 10:42 am

Well yeah, most places only sell average popiahs. I only know the one at Sim Lim, it’s very near city anyway, just a street away from Bugis Junction. Can’t go wrong.

And while you are there, try the bak chor mee, it’s really popular with hungry techy guys…lol

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:27 pm

Mmm.. I love Bak chor mee now, I feel like I’ve been living under a rock! :X

• j0s1e267 posted on August 14, 2006 at 4:55 pm

• hyperion1 posted on August 14, 2006 at 9:14 pm

we loved the chicken curry katsu at Wagamama in London, UK.. so yummy! 🙂

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 1:53 am

• j0s1e267 posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:21 am

• beverly posted on August 18, 2006 at 2:34 am

Haha thanks for the tip.. I haven’t even heard of that burger!

• vixette7 posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:33 am

actually that’s a deep fried popiah which makes it a spring roll right? cos the popiah is the unfried version with the white skin. at least that’s what i think.

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:27 pm

Naaww this is with the white ‘soft’ skin so it’s proper popiah.. spring rolls are a lot thinner and the insides are a bit different I believe.. since popiah uses turnip?

• vixette7 posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:06 pm

sodesne. looked like it was ‘fried’ in the pic. my bad

• waltzmatz posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:50 am

Welcome back to Singapore! I was just at wee nam kee chix rice that day too! My church is nearby(not 7th day adventist, not novena church).

Neway, do try the milkshake in mos burger. Its super good for its price! And yes, the beef rice burger is actually quite good. I have friends that always eat that all the time. 🙂

Have lotsa fun back home!

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:33 pm

Ooooo I was actually pointing out to mum how cheap the milkshake was compared to Carl Jr’s $5.90 version! Should’ve gotten it…

• hyperion1 posted on August 14, 2006 at 9:13 pm

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 1:53 am

I like Wagamamas too btw, nice big portions!

• etherealprey posted on August 15, 2006 at 6:36 am

Hmmm…food pics…hmmm hungry now….it’s always interesting the mix of food in that area of the world….

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:35 pm

I’ve actually been a bit narrow-minded and eaten mostly SG local hawker food.. it actually has every cuisine available, it’s a food paradise for greedy ‘ol me 😉

• babyflite posted on August 15, 2006 at 12:27 am

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 1:56 am

• jarmz posted on August 15, 2006 at 12:36 am

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 1:57 am

Hah yes!! It felt like a child’s meal or something.. I was hungry afterwards 🙁

• jarmz posted on August 15, 2006 at 2:01 am

• catpuccino posted on August 15, 2006 at 8:39 am

You eat out so much in Singapore! 🙂 I guess it makes sense though because there’s so much variety AND it’s cheaper than Australia! Plus who wants to cook when it’s so hot and humid?

When I visited Singapore last summer I remembered thinking that it would be a nice place to live, but it wasn’t that great to just visit for a few days (due to not so great tourist attractions) because you only get to see a few days to trial it AND acclimatise to the heat.

Anyway the food looks delicious!

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:35 pm

I think most people in SG eat out for all their meals?? No point in cooking I guess, like you said, it’s hot and the food outside’s so cheap anyway! Hehe I’m the opposite of you though, I like visiting SG for 2 weeks but I’m unsure if I can handle living permanently.. then again, I never like living in a country permanently!

• bikkle posted on August 15, 2006 at 12:55 am

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 1:58 am

• Anonymous posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:26 am

The one at newton hawker centre is pretty good

• bikkle posted on August 15, 2006 at 10:42 am

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:27 pm

Mmm.. I love Bak chor mee now, I feel like I’ve been living under a rock! :X

• vixette7 posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:33 am

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:27 pm

• vixette7 posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:06 pm

sodesne. looked like it was ‘fried’ in the pic. my bad

• kare2711 posted on August 15, 2006 at 11:36 am

I like to think that the popiah is healthy too. I resort to eating that when I want to eat some healthy hawker food.

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:36 pm

I’m pretty sure popiah’s really healthy?? Maybe a bit of sugar from the sweet sauce but I think it’s like the Asian version of a salad. At least i HOPE it’s healthy.. otherwise maybe I’m deluding myself, hehe

• waltzmatz posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:50 am

Have lotsa fun back home!

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:33 pm

• etherealprey posted on August 15, 2006 at 6:36 am

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:35 pm

• catpuccino posted on August 15, 2006 at 8:39 am

Anyway the food looks delicious!

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:35 pm

• kare2711 posted on August 15, 2006 at 11:36 am

• beverly posted on August 15, 2006 at 3:36 pm

• Anonymous posted on January 11, 2010 at 8:19 am

popiah @ bedok hawker centre, the one facing the covered walkway (not the opp side) is awesome and extra garlic makes it even lovelier. (:

• Anonymous posted on January 11, 2010 at 8:19 am