FOOD, Food reviews, Uncategorized ORGANIC EXPO, AROMA COFFEE FESTIVAL 23 July 2006

Well, I suppose I predicted the weather wrongly yesterday. Because it was blimmin’ beautiful today! All blue skies and white billowy clouds and not too cold πŸ™‚ So a visit to both festivals was a must…

First up was The Organic Expo. There were more stalls than I’d expected – never knew that there was so much organic… stuff.. in Australia! Had a blast poking around and sampling all the food. It doesn’t really taste much better/worse than ‘regular’ food, except for the fruit/veg. Fresh organic fruit/veg is just spectacular.. I honestly think it’s worth the extra $$!

The Organic Expo

There was even organic skincare and makeup

Heh, thought this sign was funny.
Australians call chickens “chooks”, by the way.

Delicious organic dips

This rice and chicken was fabulous!! Organic chicken is so much
more tender than normal chicken…

Bowls of popcorn and nuts

Really liked this hot food stall – pastas, curries, etc

Had a shot of organic Wheatgrass juice – apparently really good for you.
Just realised the photo says its $2 for a shot.. but he gave it to me free! Yay!

Ice cream made without cream.. tasted good though!

This just made me go *wow*. Organic fruit & veg is the best

Some goodies that I got – chickpeas, extra virgin olive oil, popcorn,
carrot, apples, miso soup, Dr Hauschka samples

After that, decided it was time for a bit of coffee and shopping.. so headed off to the Aroma Coffee Festival. Was surprised that it was actually a really big event.. tons of people milling around and cups of coffee as far as the eye could see πŸ˜‰ When I read online that each cup is $1, I figured they were little shots of coffee. Not so! They were decent sized, and so $1 was unbelievably cheap. I bought 2 lattes but can’t remember what stalls I got them at – they tasted about the same anyhow πŸ˜› Too bad they didn’t have flavours, I like my coffee with vanilla or hazelnut syrup! Still delicious though.. and just fantastic to sip a steaming hot coffee in the brilliant sunshine.

Mmmm…. coffee….

They had a Turkish tea house there too, complete with (sexy) dancers!

People galore

The famous Rocks Markets

Walked back across the bridge – the view was perfect πŸ™‚

As requested! A pic of the Alannah Hill cherry necklace worn

• rubytues posted on July 23, 2006 at 7:18 am

Necklace looks beautiful on you. πŸ™‚ Both festivals look great and your photographs really bring the reader there with you.

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:05 am

Thank you!

It was a lovely day today.. we were fortunate to have perfect weather

• esthered posted on July 23, 2006 at 7:21 am

The organic fruit all look very colourful and healthy~!

I remember when I was still in Aussie, we would have these reaaaallly awesome cherries and strawberries up for sale at rather cheap prices too!

Organic ones must taste way better though. πŸ˜›

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:06 am

The fruit was SO sweet and juicy.. yum :)~ But yeah, fruit/veg in general here is really good anyway!

• angelnotes posted on July 23, 2006 at 7:25 am

Ahhh…I LOVE organic stuff! Sounds like you’d so much fun. πŸ˜€

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:18 am

I thought the food tasted about the same.. but the fresh produce was just spectacular πŸ˜€

• miss_foxy posted on July 23, 2006 at 7:46 am

Man, there is nothing to do in Canberra! =P I can’t wait til I move to a big city.

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:22 am

You guys have Questacon!!!!! I love that place πŸ˜‰

• kathsonno posted on July 23, 2006 at 7:49 am

That pasta looks so yummy! It looks like you did heaps of walking today! Love the necklace πŸ™‚ It looks cute on you!

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:22 am

Yeah.. it was good exercise.. makes up for all the stuff I’ve been eating lately, heh!

• __pinkpony posted on July 23, 2006 at 8:16 am

Looks like a fun day! Lucky it wasn’t raining! πŸ˜€
    I like your necklace. πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:22 am

I was surprised it was so lovely, the weather report yesterday said it’ll be awful today!

• larissy posted on July 23, 2006 at 8:37 am

the coffee festival was nuts, so much more people than normal.

i ended up getting 6 cups of coffe – am so buzzed right now, i don’t think i’ll be able to sleep tonite!

the necklace looks so cute on you – you’ve given me a lemming!

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:23 am

6 cups?! Heh. I drank 2 and couldn’t stomach any more.. my tummy was all slooshing around inside πŸ˜‰ I enjoyed it though, such lovely weather!

• liquidcashmere posted on July 23, 2006 at 8:40 am

Hi B,

whatΒ΄s your EbayID, so I can check what youΒ΄re selling?

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:23 am

I’m at myfashionpassion, but haven’t listed yet.. I will tomorrow I think! Too lazy to take pics right now πŸ˜›

• ladytrippin posted on July 23, 2006 at 8:54 am

Hey, just wondering which site do you go to to see the dates for events like these? I’ve done a search and all I get are the main food and wine ones and not little ones like these. Thanks!

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:25 am

I just hear about it from word of mouth to be honest.. my friends tell me ‘cos they know I’m into all these sorts of things. I also bookmark therocks.com.au and cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au to check out what’s on πŸ™‚

• protozone posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:03 am

I’d been wondering the same thing as ladytrippin. You always find good stuff to do on the weekends!

If I had known about that coffee festival about 2 or 3 hours earlier, I would probably have ended up there this weekend. (made other plans shortly before finding out) πŸ˜›

• ladytrippin posted on July 23, 2006 at 12:04 pm

Yeah she does doesn’t she? Her weekends are almost always packed with so many fun activities of which I don’t have any idea when they are! πŸ˜›

Thanks for the info btw, Bev.

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:19 pm

Next time I’ll try and post about it beforehand with info, so you guys can rock up too πŸ˜€

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 12:30 pm

I just like to poke around and do stuff πŸ˜›

But sometimes nothing beats a lazy day mooching at home.. esp when it’s crap weather outside!

• bubbling posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:45 am

Oh wow! I was in the Turkish Coffee House at the same time as you! I was sitting on the floor watching those two dancers with my boyfriend (incase you spotted a short asian girl with a tall, tall boy with light brown hair). The weather was beautiful and it was such a nice day! πŸ˜€

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 12:32 pm

Heh! Sure you’re not in the pic? πŸ˜›
      the girls were so gorgeous with such hot bods… I want to learn turkish dancing now πŸ˜‰

• korobe posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:04 am

I was at the Organic Expo today too! We must’ve missed each other coz we got there around 1pm. When we left around 4 o’clock they were giving away all of the fruits and veges, we picked up 3 full bags of goodies! The bananas were the best, especially seeing that they’re like $17/kg!

I also purchased the ready made soups and meals. Did you try the organic mushroom rissoto? I taste tested it and decided to have that for dinner tonight.

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 12:33 pm

Ooo I think I left around 1 or 2, so yeah, just missed each other!
      Erm, I realised you actually HAVE TO PAY to get in…. I just waltzed past all the people collecting tickets and no one stopped me! I didn’t even know we had to pay, until I just saw it on the website…. eep. Oopsie……..

The risotto was yum, as was the irish stew they had as well! :)~

• ellesil posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:47 am

oh i remember the coffee festival; $1 lattes! Must be an annual event.

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 12:34 pm

Ya, what a deal! It was my 1st one.. I’ll have to go next year πŸ™‚

• thefragrantelf posted on July 23, 2006 at 12:44 pm

I was at the Coffee festival with my family today! We got flavours in one of the coffees we had, Irish liqueur…mmm…we had our coffees with white chocolate rocky road and the fluffiest nougat I’ve ever had…so good! The organic festival sounds fab, can’t believe you made it to both!

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:20 pm

Oooooo bummer, I would’ve loved the Irish Liqueur one! Sounds so yumm :)~

• medlabtech posted on July 23, 2006 at 2:44 pm

How did the wheatgrass juice taste? I’m very adventurous when it comes to food, but I’m not so sure about drinking juice made from grass!

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:21 pm

Erm.. it was disgusting, to be honest πŸ˜‰ Very sharp and strong taste… kinda like chewing on grass I guess! But the guy insisted it was reaaaaly healthy for me and I had to have some πŸ˜›

• medlabtech posted on July 24, 2006 at 3:05 pm

Unlike most people, I can’t stand the smell of freshly-cut grass. Can’t imagine tasting it!

I think I’d rather get my vitamins elsewhere. πŸ™‚

• starbucksweetie posted on July 23, 2006 at 3:01 pm

I love the necklace – very pretty and sweet. I love the view of the opera house. Great picture.

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:22 pm

I’m always impressed at how I can take a pic of the Opera House and view and it turns out like a post card.. Sydney has really nice views πŸ™‚

• hyperion1 posted on July 23, 2006 at 3:02 pm

the organic fruits and vegetables look so beautiful and fresh!! πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:25 pm

Yeah πŸ™‚ I ate so much of it… pluls it’s healthy too!!

• jarmz posted on July 23, 2006 at 3:08 pm

the fruits looks good!

and i love the necklace! so lovely.

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:26 pm

It was a healthy pig-out for once… so I was happy, hehe

• rubytues posted on July 23, 2006 at 7:18 am

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:05 am

Thank you!

It was a lovely day today.. we were fortunate to have perfect weather

• esthered posted on July 23, 2006 at 7:21 am

The organic fruit all look very colourful and healthy~!

Organic ones must taste way better though. πŸ˜›

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:06 am

• angelnotes posted on July 23, 2006 at 7:25 am

Ahhh…I LOVE organic stuff! Sounds like you’d so much fun. πŸ˜€

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:18 am

• miss_foxy posted on July 23, 2006 at 7:46 am

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:22 am

You guys have Questacon!!!!! I love that place πŸ˜‰

• kathsonno posted on July 23, 2006 at 7:49 am

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:22 am

• joni_to0622 posted on July 23, 2006 at 3:52 pm

I like organic products too, there is a newly open organic supermarket close to where I live, there have alot of different products. However, they are really expensive compared to the normal products!

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:27 pm

Yeah they’re $$ which is a bummer.. but ti’s worth it for the fresh produce IMHO. But organic corn chips, etc? Nah, no thanks!

• __pinkpony posted on July 23, 2006 at 8:16 am

Looks like a fun day! Lucky it wasn’t raining! πŸ˜€
    I like your necklace. πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:22 am

• larissy posted on July 23, 2006 at 8:37 am

the coffee festival was nuts, so much more people than normal.

the necklace looks so cute on you – you’ve given me a lemming!

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:23 am

• liquidcashmere posted on July 23, 2006 at 8:40 am

Hi B,

whatΒ΄s your EbayID, so I can check what youΒ΄re selling?

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:23 am

• ladytrippin posted on July 23, 2006 at 8:54 am

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:25 am

• protozone posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:03 am

• ladytrippin posted on July 23, 2006 at 12:04 pm

Thanks for the info btw, Bev.

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:19 pm

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 12:30 pm

I just like to poke around and do stuff πŸ˜›

• bubbling posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:45 am

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 12:32 pm

Heh! Sure you’re not in the pic? πŸ˜›

• korobe posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:04 am

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 12:33 pm

Ooo I think I left around 1 or 2, so yeah, just missed each other!

The risotto was yum, as was the irish stew they had as well! :)~

• ellesil posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:47 am

oh i remember the coffee festival; $1 lattes! Must be an annual event.

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 12:34 pm

Ya, what a deal! It was my 1st one.. I’ll have to go next year πŸ™‚

• thefragrantelf posted on July 23, 2006 at 12:44 pm

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:20 pm

Oooooo bummer, I would’ve loved the Irish Liqueur one! Sounds so yumm :)~

• medlabtech posted on July 23, 2006 at 2:44 pm

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:21 pm

• medlabtech posted on July 24, 2006 at 3:05 pm

I think I’d rather get my vitamins elsewhere. πŸ™‚

• etherealprey posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:51 pm

wow you guys got a coffee festival! organic is taking over here in the states…whole foods has taken over everything! Not that it’s a bad thing hee hee…i love chickpeas. how do you like to eat them?

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:28 pm

there’s an organic supermarket right near where I live, which is cool πŸ™‚

I’ve got a recipe for a chickpea salad so think I’ll do that! And also a chickpea Indian curry i think..

• starbucksweetie posted on July 23, 2006 at 3:01 pm

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:22 pm

• hyperion1 posted on July 23, 2006 at 3:02 pm

the organic fruits and vegetables look so beautiful and fresh!! πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:25 pm

Yeah πŸ™‚ I ate so much of it… pluls it’s healthy too!!

• jarmz posted on July 23, 2006 at 3:08 pm

the fruits looks good!

and i love the necklace! so lovely.

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:26 pm

It was a healthy pig-out for once… so I was happy, hehe

• joni_to0622 posted on July 23, 2006 at 3:52 pm

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:27 pm

• supercamel posted on July 24, 2006 at 1:09 am

I went to the organic expo too – it was awesome! We went to the good food expo 2-3 weeks ago and it was twice as expensive to get in and about 3 times as big but the food at this one was so much better. I also had some of that wheatgrass juice – it smells and tastes just like grass! But I think they put sugar in it cos it was sweet.

Gosh I didn’t take half as many photos as you but I took some from upstairs which is a good aerial shot. And we heard Kylie Kwong and Carla Oates speak.

I can’t wait to check out that organic store new you.. there’s not too many of them in Sydney πŸ™

• beverly posted on July 24, 2006 at 9:33 am

Yayyyy glad you liked it!

I actually got in for free :X See one of the above comments for the full story.. I’m so bad!!

Def check out Macro.. the cafe there is also fab πŸ™‚

• etherealprey posted on July 23, 2006 at 10:51 pm

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:28 pm

there’s an organic supermarket right near where I live, which is cool πŸ™‚

• gingerstardrops posted on July 24, 2006 at 8:17 am

That cherry necklace is so gorgeous. *sigh* and they don’t have AH stores in Singapore, if not i’ll rush down to get it.

• beverly posted on July 24, 2006 at 9:35 am

If you like it I can help you buy it and send it to you? I think it’s around $30 or $40 ish πŸ™‚

• gingerstardrops posted on July 24, 2006 at 9:38 am

really?? thats so nice of u..Ok, let me sleep on it and then get back to you tomorrow :)tats quite reasonable considering its from AH..

• gingerstardrops posted on July 24, 2006 at 9:52 am

• gingerstardrops posted on July 25, 2006 at 8:32 am

Hey Bev, my cousin is heading down to sydney next week so i will get her to buy the necklace for me. Thanks for offering to get it for me though πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on July 25, 2006 at 12:31 pm

Cool! It’s so gorgeous, I’m sure you’ll like it πŸ™‚

• supercamel posted on July 24, 2006 at 1:09 am

• beverly posted on July 24, 2006 at 9:33 am

Yayyyy glad you liked it!

Def check out Macro.. the cafe there is also fab πŸ™‚

• gingerstardrops posted on July 24, 2006 at 8:17 am

• beverly posted on July 24, 2006 at 9:35 am

• gingerstardrops posted on July 24, 2006 at 9:38 am

• gingerstardrops posted on July 24, 2006 at 9:52 am

• gingerstardrops posted on July 25, 2006 at 8:32 am

• beverly posted on July 25, 2006 at 12:31 pm

Cool! It’s so gorgeous, I’m sure you’ll like it πŸ™‚

• germanjenn posted on July 27, 2006 at 9:59 pm

hi Bev! I have a pretty random question, but I don’t know who else knows as much as you do about ebay πŸ™‚ What can I really do about a non-paying bidder? Can ebay harass them a little (haha), or can I be refunded for the listing cost, etc?

• beverly posted on July 28, 2006 at 10:17 am

In My eBay, on the left nav, there’s “Dispute Console”.. you can use that to open a dispute on a non-paying bidder, and you get a refund for all your fees πŸ™‚

You can also go to ADVANCE SEARCH on the top-right and click on Contact Information and give the buyer a call!

• germanjenn posted on July 28, 2006 at 2:18 pm

ooo thanks, I see it now! πŸ™‚

I definitely want to call them! I just think it’s so disrespectful. Have you ever called a non-paying bidder/did it work out?

• germanjenn posted on July 27, 2006 at 9:59 pm