FOOD, Food reviews, Uncategorized CAFE JOY 20 July 2006

Cafe Joy And Take-Away
8 Quay Street
Haymarket, NSW 2000

Was running some errands today and so was in the Chinatown area. Since it was lunchtime, I started poking around and trying to figure out where to eat. Was going to try the handmade noodle place that recommended, but when I saw it, I realised I’ve been there before!! And yes, the noodles there ARE yum :)~

Anyway, so nearby I saw this Indonesian place called Cafe Joy. It was on the corner of Quay and Thomas street and looked quite bright and open, with a fair few people in there munching away. So I just decided to head in there to grab a quick, cheap meal.

After asking the lady at the counter “What’s your most popular dish?” I decided on the Bakmi Ayam – which is basically “chicken noodles”. 5 mins later, I was called to collect my meal.. along with steaming bowl of hot soup. When I first looked at the dish, it looked quite bland and uninteresting. But at $6+, I couldn’t really complain. However, one bite and I was more than satisfied – it was full of flavour! The noodles had a nice crisp bite and it tasted better with a few spoonfuls of soup mixed into it. The chicken cubes looked, erm, quite ugly.. but tasted terrific – I think they were marinated in some sort of soy-hybrid sauce, they were so tasty. I ate the bowl in about 5 mins flat – it wasn’t too big or small a portion and was really satisfying and at a decent price (considering it’s in the city).

Having said that, I’m glad I didn’t succumb to the Nasi Goreng (Indonesian fried rice) which I nearly was tempted to get. The lady next to me got it and it looked quite dry and not-so-great. Then again, my noodles (below) didn’t look that fab either, and they tasted great! Too bad it’s not closer to work, or I’d visit more often..

Cafe Joy And Take-Away

Bakmi Ayam and soup

I also received Karen’s lovely package of Fruit Parfait kit kats and Green tea kit kats!! Shared the Fruit Parfait around and the consensus was either a “love it” or “errr… tastes funny” 😉 I quite liked it, but still prefer the Lemon Cheesecake kit kats! Haven’t tried the Green Tea ones yet.. but I bet I’ll like ’em. Flavoured kit kats are the best, I don’t like ‘regular’ kit kats anymore 😉

Fruit Parfait & Green Tea kit kats

• kare2711 posted on July 20, 2006 at 11:53 am

wah you take good pictures of the Kit Kats 🙂

• kare2711 posted on July 20, 2006 at 2:10 pm

by the way, those aren’t really green tea kit kats. The layers are red bean heh heh.

• beverly posted on July 20, 2006 at 9:28 pm

Ohhh haha, I didn’t know that, I’ll have to try ’em today or tomorrow!

Thanks so much for sending ’em 🙂

• rubytues posted on July 20, 2006 at 1:02 pm

Damn, those Kit Kats look awesome! 🙂 We had some limited edition ones in the USA recently but they were different from these. Think one was caramel or mocha and one was a more intense chocolate but I forget what was added to it.
    The last one was white chocolate.

Also, grats on your recent clothing purchases. You saved a LOT of money. 🙂

• beverly posted on July 20, 2006 at 9:29 pm

I love all the Asian kit kats. they’re so unusual 🙂

we had those USA ones in Australia too! But it wasn’t really much different IMHO :X

• j0s1e267 posted on July 20, 2006 at 1:10 pm

I LOVE BAKMI AYAM!!! It’s my “staple” here in the land where I cannot get fish ball mee pok dry!! LOL! Maybe I’ll go get some tonight! Like you, it’s not really near to me, abt an hr drive!

• beverly posted on July 20, 2006 at 9:30 pm

First time I’ve really had it, I think.. it’s delish :)~ Simple but so tasty!

• protozone posted on July 20, 2006 at 1:18 pm

GREEN TEA KIT KATS!
    Wow. And I thought my discovery of the day (Mint M&Ms) was pretty good.

Why is it that Australia’s selection of Kit Kats sucks? One of the terminals at Heathrow airport has tiramisu Kit Kats. Why can’t we have those in Australia? I demand more flavours!

• beverly posted on July 20, 2006 at 9:32 pm

I think Aussies don’treally like trying out new/weird things, like wine, green tea, fruit, lemon cheeseake, apple, etc flavoured kit kats?? I know when I opened mine at work people were more iffy than they were excited.. but in Singapore, people are so greedy that they’d be clambering over each other to try it 😛
      It’s weird, since I thought they’d do BETTER here.. since Aussies have a sweeter tooth than Asians!

have you tried the Mint kit kats here? Found it at the asian supermarket (Miracle) @ Chatswood. It’s FANTASTIC

• mzlizbit posted on July 20, 2006 at 2:27 pm

what?!?? FLAVORED Kit-Kats?!?! i’ve never heard of such a thing. i don’t think they have those in the States ;/ or at least not in the big chain supermarkets i go to. damnit. they sound really gooood. stupid America. bomb countries all willy nilly and doesn’t supply their own citizens with tasty flavored Kit-Kat treats. that’s it. i’m moving outta here.

• beverly posted on July 20, 2006 at 9:44 pm

The flavours are so awesome!! Try searching on eBay a nd you’ll see all the flavours that Asian countries have – yum :)~

Heheh you’re funny tho 😛

• brandnew_ posted on July 20, 2006 at 4:36 pm

I want a fruit parfait kit-kat.

• beverly posted on July 20, 2006 at 9:45 pm

They’re really unusual, and SO pretty! :)~

• l_i_z posted on July 20, 2006 at 4:44 pm

Those KitKats look SCARY! hahaha. I had no idea you could get flavours like that.. well, I guess they make everything random flavours these days, huh? heh. I’m still loving those orange Tim Tams;D

• beverly posted on July 20, 2006 at 9:48 pm

Hehe yeah.. they come in SO many flavours.. I didn’t even realise till I searched for them on eBay!

orange Tim Tams are sooo good.. I bought another packet and it’s sitting in front of me to much on when I watch TV 😛

• kare2711 posted on July 20, 2006 at 11:53 am

wah you take good pictures of the Kit Kats 🙂

• kare2711 posted on July 20, 2006 at 2:10 pm

• beverly posted on July 20, 2006 at 9:28 pm

Ohhh haha, I didn’t know that, I’ll have to try ’em today or tomorrow!

Thanks so much for sending ’em 🙂

• rubytues posted on July 20, 2006 at 1:02 pm

The last one was white chocolate.

Also, grats on your recent clothing purchases. You saved a LOT of money. 🙂

• beverly posted on July 20, 2006 at 9:29 pm

I love all the Asian kit kats. they’re so unusual 🙂

• j0s1e267 posted on July 20, 2006 at 1:10 pm

• beverly posted on July 20, 2006 at 9:30 pm

First time I’ve really had it, I think.. it’s delish :)~ Simple but so tasty!

• protozone posted on July 20, 2006 at 1:18 pm

GREEN TEA KIT KATS!
    Wow. And I thought my discovery of the day (Mint M&Ms) was pretty good.

• beverly posted on July 20, 2006 at 9:32 pm

• mzlizbit posted on July 20, 2006 at 2:27 pm

• beverly posted on July 20, 2006 at 9:44 pm

Heheh you’re funny tho 😛

• brandnew_ posted on July 20, 2006 at 4:36 pm

I want a fruit parfait kit-kat.

• beverly posted on July 20, 2006 at 9:45 pm

They’re really unusual, and SO pretty! :)~

• l_i_z posted on July 20, 2006 at 4:44 pm

• beverly posted on July 20, 2006 at 9:48 pm

• venna posted on July 21, 2006 at 1:36 am

Oooh, you received such a sweet present ;D I hate how in the U.S. all we have is regular milk or white chocolate kit kats. The white chocolate thing isn’t even all that old, I don’t think. This gives me even more reason to take a long vacation around the world. I’ve always been up for traveling but I’ve actually never left the country! Oahu is the farthest from home that I’ve been 😛

• beverly posted on July 21, 2006 at 10:19 am

It made my day… and they’re so pretty too! We also have regular kit kats here in Australia, it’s so boring 🙁

A vacation all around the world would be so spectacular! Lots of food and lots of culture 🙂

• starbucksweetie posted on July 21, 2006 at 3:29 am

The Kit Kats look interesting and exotic.

• beverly posted on July 21, 2006 at 10:20 am

I love unusual stuff.. never even knew Kit Kat had so many different flavours until recently. Wish we had ’em here :X

• etherealprey posted on July 21, 2006 at 5:41 am

those kit kats look so yummy. where does one find those?

• beverly posted on July 21, 2006 at 10:20 am

They sell in supermarkets in Singapore, Japan and most Asian countries I believe

• hyperion1 posted on July 22, 2006 at 12:53 am

the fruit parfait Kit Kat looks good!! 🙂

in Canada, we also have flavoured Kit Kats.. recently, we had strawberry Kit Kats, orange Kit KaTS, vanilla Kit Kats, cinnamon Kit Kats, and banana Kit Kats

but Asia has the most flavours! especially Japan 🙂

here is more information about KIt Kats including a list of the flavours that are available worldwide:

• beverly posted on July 22, 2006 at 7:47 am

Ohhhhhh why didn’t I discover it on Wikipedia earlier 😛

Canadians obviously know their food, hehe. Boy, what I would give to have one of each of those kit kats listed on the site……

• venna posted on July 21, 2006 at 1:36 am

• beverly posted on July 21, 2006 at 10:19 am

• starbucksweetie posted on July 21, 2006 at 3:29 am

The Kit Kats look interesting and exotic.

• beverly posted on July 21, 2006 at 10:20 am

• etherealprey posted on July 21, 2006 at 5:41 am

those kit kats look so yummy. where does one find those?

• beverly posted on July 21, 2006 at 10:20 am

• hyperion1 posted on July 22, 2006 at 12:53 am

the fruit parfait Kit Kat looks good!! 🙂

but Asia has the most flavours! especially Japan 🙂

• beverly posted on July 22, 2006 at 7:47 am

Ohhhhhh why didn’t I discover it on Wikipedia earlier 😛

• ameelia posted on July 22, 2006 at 10:34 am

hey. i wanted to send you lemon cheesecake and cappuccino Kit Kats… but mei thot they might not get thru the post? can they??

• beverly posted on July 22, 2006 at 11:22 am

Ya, packaged brand chocs/candy can be sent through 😀 My mum has some but won’t send to me! 😛

• ameelia posted on July 23, 2006 at 9:59 am

OH! i din realise. i think the ones we have at home are gone…

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 12:29 pm

Hehe it’s cos they’re too yummy!

• ameelia posted on July 22, 2006 at 10:34 am

• beverly posted on July 22, 2006 at 11:22 am

• ameelia posted on July 23, 2006 at 9:59 am

OH! i din realise. i think the ones we have at home are gone…

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 12:29 pm

Hehe it’s cos they’re too yummy!

• catpuccino posted on July 23, 2006 at 1:46 pm

I tried the green tea kit kats and I really liked them! Enjoy!
    But I also tried strawberry and I thought they tasted funny… a bit too weirdly chemically…

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:18 pm

I haven’t tried strawberry.. bummer

My fave’s the lemon cheesecake and mint, so far! 🙂

• catpuccino posted on July 23, 2006 at 1:46 pm

I tried the green tea kit kats and I really liked them! Enjoy!

• beverly posted on July 23, 2006 at 11:18 pm