Ooooo… I am a domestic goddess! Or at least felt like one last night 😉
Decided to try my luck cooking up something I’d never done before.. a Beef
The stew turned out really nice, actually 😀 The beef and ingredients were super soft and tender and it was all warm and comforting to curl up on the couch with a bowl of it served on mashed potatoes. And the Guinness really did give it a real kick, mmmmm!!! The preparation and cooking wasn’t difficult, but because it takes 1.5 hours to cook, you gotta be prepared. Overall, I’d say it was medium difficulty, but you can cook up a big batch and freeze the extra.
Beef & Guinness Stew with mashed potatoes
Beef & Guinness Beer Stew served with mashed potatoes
2 tablespoons plain flour
700g chuck/casserole steak, cubed
3 sticks celery, cubed
1 brown onion, sliced
1 carrot, cubed
300g mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup Guinness beer
1.25 cups beef stock
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
1) Put flour and some salt/pepper in a bag with the steak. Shake to coat.
2) Heat some oil in a saucepan and cook steak until just brown
3) In a pot, heat oil and cook celery, onion, carrot and mushrooms for 5 mins. Add tomato paste and stir.
4) Add Guinness. Then add beef stock and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, then add beef.
5) Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Then remove lid and simmer another 1/2 hour or until tender.
6) Remove bay leaves, stir in parsley.
7) Serve on mashed potatoes (mashed with garlic, butter and warm milk).