Uncategorized CHRIS’ NEW CAR 13 November 2005

Chris bought a car!!

It all happened really quickly. It made sense for him to get a car since Microsoft has their own parking area and it’s a real pain taking public transport. He was thisclose to getting this hot car with heated leather seats, alloy wheels, and just sexy-looking all over.. but then we figured if he bought it, it’ll basically drain almost all of his savings. He specifically wanted to buy a car straight-out in cash because taking loans from a bank is the worst thing that could ever happen to a human being (unless the loan is for a house, otherwise any other loan or not being able to pay off a credit card is a big NO NO imho!)

So he settled on the Hyundai Getz, which is incredibly cheap so it only bleeds into a bit of his savings. It was a great choice IMHO – and the other car that I was actually contemplating when I bought my Honda Jazz.

It’s a brand new car ‘cos we’re suspcious of second-hand, and we’ve never bought a second-hand car before so we had no idea what to watch out for. Brand new just saves the headache! We got it at around $3,000 less than the asking price, with free window tinting, mats and all the automated/random extras that it comes with. It was a pretty good deal IMHO 🙂 I love the colour, it looks like a bumble bee, hehe.

We’re getting it on Tuesday after work – I’m excited!!

Some pics from yesterday:

Lunchtime fodder

To’s prawn noodles.. mmmmm.. the best

All stirred up

Kueh dar dar, all prettily lined up

YUMMY!

For dinner, I had roast lamb and vegetables – that’s healthy, right?

And chris had pasta with bacon, pepperoni, olives, chilli and tomato

• happyflowerlove posted on November 13, 2005 at 5:05 am

Nice car! 😀

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 5:11 am

Hehe I think so too.. it’s adorable imho 😛

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 5:11 am

Hehe I think so too.. it’s adorable imho 😛

• happyflowerlove posted on November 13, 2005 at 5:05 am

Nice car! 😀

• starbucksweetie posted on November 13, 2005 at 5:10 am

because taking loans from a bank is the worst thing that could ever happen to a human being, that’s a hilarious sentence. Anyway – what color did he get (such a typical girl question)

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 5:15 am

It’s very dramatic ‘cos I have a morbid aversion to owing ANYONE money.. so the worst thing that could happen to me would be owing the bank $$ ‘cos of a silly random loan or not paying off my cc. If it came to that, I’d rather NOT buy whatever it was that I bought to incur that debt!

It’s yellowwwww.. soo cute 😛

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 5:15 am

It’s yellowwwww.. soo cute 😛

• starbucksweetie posted on November 13, 2005 at 5:10 am

• nav posted on November 13, 2005 at 5:27 am

What’s Kueh dar dar ? It looks really good but I’m curious about what it is 🙂

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 6:06 am

Ooo hard to describe.. think it’s a crepe-like outside (the green’s just food colouring) and inside is shredded coconut soaked in palm sugar (called gula melaka). It’s my absolute fave dessert :)~

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 6:06 am

• nav posted on November 13, 2005 at 5:27 am

What’s Kueh dar dar ? It looks really good but I’m curious about what it is 🙂

• etherealprey posted on November 13, 2005 at 5:28 am

cars in AU are definately different than the ones in the US. That thing is TINY! How can it possibly hold all your shopping bags?

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 6:06 am

Yeah, in the USA everyone likes huge cars, I hardly see small cars there.

Here and in Singapore, small cars are really common.. I guess it’s mainly ‘cos the same $30k car in the USA costs about $100k in Singapore 😛 It’s pretty insane!

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 6:06 am

Yeah, in the USA everyone likes huge cars, I hardly see small cars there.

• etherealprey posted on November 13, 2005 at 5:28 am

• jacintahuang posted on November 13, 2005 at 6:34 am

Hehehe, it does look bumble-bee-like! 😛

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 10:10 am

Chris isn’t happy I’m calling it The Bumblebee.. he says it’s too girly. He’s calling “THE DEMON” (said with a *snarl*), haha!!

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 10:10 am

• jacintahuang posted on November 13, 2005 at 6:34 am

Hehehe, it does look bumble-bee-like! 😛

• finding_tricia posted on November 13, 2005 at 6:39 am

I agree with you on avoiding bank loans unless it’s for a house. The car’s a good buy!

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 10:11 am

I reckon owing the bank money willy-nilly is the fastest way to debt problems and bankruptcy :X

Can’t wait till Tues to get the car! 😛

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 10:11 am

Can’t wait till Tues to get the car! 😛

• finding_tricia posted on November 13, 2005 at 6:39 am

• inthestill posted on November 13, 2005 at 7:47 am

Ooh, my grandfather got two Hyundai Getz recently for himself and my grandmother and as extra cars, and I think it’s a pretty good choice! 🙂 It looks tiny, but it’s actually quite roomy inside, just as or maybe a little rommier than my Corolla (which is a compact car in itself). I think it was designed quite well. Did you guys see the Kia Picanto (sp)? I think that’s the Getz’ competitor. Anyway, nice deal on the Getz! Congrats! 🙂

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 10:27 am

How much is a new Getz in SG, dya know? I THINK it’s like SG$30k or something.. not sure. Sooo $$!

Chris hates Kia for some reason, so didn’t check it out 😛 He really only wanted a Getz, Lancer or your Corolla!

• inthestill posted on November 13, 2005 at 1:46 pm

I normally wouldn’t look at Kia’s twice either, but the broadsheets here were hailing the Picanto here and there! 🙂 I just wonder how durable it is. =/

Dunno how much it’s going for in SG, but here in the Philippines I *think* it’s going for about P450,000. That’s about $14,000 SGD 😉 it’s okay though – electronics are cheaper there than here. The iPod Video is going for like P25,000 w/c is like $782 SGD! whoa.

And I agree – have an aversion with preowned cars, too, especially if you don’t personally know the owner. Always better to get brand new. Anyway there are budget cars that are affordable at brand new! 🙂

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 9:05 pm

Oh $14kSGD isn’t toooo bad! I think in SG it’s double the price or something insane like that.. :X

I’ll get a second-hand car if someone who was knowledgable was with me, apart from that – I daren’t!

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 9:05 pm

• inthestill posted on November 13, 2005 at 1:46 pm

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 10:27 am

• inthestill posted on November 13, 2005 at 7:47 am

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 10:18 am

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 10:18 am

• supercamel posted on November 13, 2005 at 12:11 pm

That desert thing looks delicious.. in fact I think I may have had it before but can’t remember where it was so long ago. So if you AND Chris both DON’T have a car, then how have you been getting around? Like the time you went to the Blue Mtns.. etc..

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 9:14 pm

Yeah we have kueh dar dar every time we can get our hands on some 😉

We both take the bus or train to work.. as it’s door-to-door. Then for the blue Mountains holiday, we rented 🙂

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 9:14 pm

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 6:06 am

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 6:06 am

• nav posted on November 13, 2005 at 5:27 am

What’s Kueh dar dar ? It looks really good but I’m curious about what it is 🙂

• etherealprey posted on November 13, 2005 at 5:28 am

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 6:06 am

Yeah, in the USA everyone likes huge cars, I hardly see small cars there.

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 6:06 am

Yeah, in the USA everyone likes huge cars, I hardly see small cars there.

• etherealprey posted on November 13, 2005 at 5:28 am

• juicy05 posted on November 13, 2005 at 1:29 pm

oooo what’s that green roll dessert thing?
    it looks yummy!

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 8:57 pm

It’s an asian dessert.. a crepe-like outside (the green’s just food colouring) and inside is shredded coconut soaked in palm sugar (called gula melaka).

Sooo good!

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 8:57 pm

Sooo good!

• juicy05 posted on November 13, 2005 at 1:29 pm

oooo what’s that green roll dessert thing?
    it looks yummy!

• jacintahuang posted on November 13, 2005 at 6:34 am

Hehehe, it does look bumble-bee-like! 😛

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 10:10 am

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 10:10 am

• jacintahuang posted on November 13, 2005 at 6:34 am

Hehehe, it does look bumble-bee-like! 😛

• finding_tricia posted on November 13, 2005 at 6:39 am

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 10:11 am

Can’t wait till Tues to get the car! 😛

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 10:11 am

Can’t wait till Tues to get the car! 😛

• finding_tricia posted on November 13, 2005 at 6:39 am

• jesuisariel posted on November 13, 2005 at 2:56 pm

Great choice! I took my friend’s for a spin a while ago and I loved it! Not too big and not too small..just the perfect size 🙂 Alas, it’s so expensive here in M’sia – about RM70,000+!

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 9:05 pm

It does! Same size as my Honda Jazz.. and super cute 🙂

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 8:48 pm

It does! Same size as my Honda Jazz.. and super cute 🙂

• glassextreme posted on November 13, 2005 at 1:20 pm

it looks like a toy car! cute

• juicy05 posted on November 13, 2005 at 1:29 pm

oooo what’s that green roll dessert thing?
    it looks yummy!

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 8:57 pm

Sooo good!

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 8:57 pm

Sooo good!

• juicy05 posted on November 13, 2005 at 1:29 pm

oooo what’s that green roll dessert thing?
    it looks yummy!

• jesuisariel posted on November 13, 2005 at 2:56 pm

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 9:05 pm

It’s insane how $$ cars are in SG/M’sia! Yet people still have such hot cars 😛

• beverly posted on November 13, 2005 at 9:05 pm

It’s insane how $$ cars are in SG/M’sia! Yet people still have such hot cars 😛

• jesuisariel posted on November 13, 2005 at 2:56 pm

• sepps2 posted on November 14, 2005 at 2:22 am

ohh, the Hyundai Getz and the Honda Jazz are my 2 fave smaller cars! they look so cute! :)))

love kueh dar dar too!

• beverly posted on November 14, 2005 at 7:45 am

Me too, I like both 🙂 I think a small car’s more practical since we live right in the city and we need a zippy car

• sepps2 posted on November 14, 2005 at 2:22 am

love kueh dar dar too!

• kathsonno posted on November 14, 2005 at 7:09 am

Cam drives a black Getz – 4 door. It’s the company car. It’s definitely better on fuel. Very econonomical. But the seats are hard on the bum! We got it a few weeks ago.

• beverly posted on November 14, 2005 at 7:47 am

Yeah, we’re used to the Jazz and it’s low fuel consumption, and I heard the Getz is just as good. Hrmm.. must get a cushion 😛

• sepps2 posted on November 14, 2005 at 2:22 am

love kueh dar dar too!

• beverly posted on November 14, 2005 at 7:45 am

• sepps2 posted on November 14, 2005 at 2:22 am

love kueh dar dar too!

• kathsonno posted on November 14, 2005 at 7:09 am

• beverly posted on November 14, 2005 at 7:47 am

• bluejane posted on November 17, 2005 at 2:06 pm

i am also driving Getz 🙂 mine is black, but in M’sia.

• beverly posted on November 17, 2005 at 4:00 pm

Cool, do you like it so far? I love how cute it is 🙂

• bluejane posted on November 20, 2005 at 3:12 pm

yeah, i love my honey (car), but sometimes my honey seems to drink too much petrol…. mine can only drive up to a max of 285 – 300km with full tank.

• bluejane posted on November 17, 2005 at 2:06 pm

i am also driving Getz 🙂 mine is black, but in M’sia.

• beverly posted on November 17, 2005 at 4:00 pm